Instagram’s Direct Message feature is the social media’s private messaging function for its users. With it, you can exchange messages with other IG users and share photos and videos as well.
We all know how important (and useful) a private message function is – and we all use it a lot (to discuss things away from public viewing). However, if you delete your IG messages (intentionally or by mistake) and want to get it back – you might not know how to do it.
Here are some other reasons on why and how Instagram messages are deleted (sometimes without you even knowing how it happened):
- Accidentally hit delete while in the DM section of IG.
- Factory reset on your device.
- Jailbreak on your unit.
- System updates.
- Others – too technical to even describe here.
Well, just sit tight and read on as this post can serve as your guide in recovering your deleted Instagram messages. We’ll show you several methods on how you can accomplish this task.
How to Recover Deleted Instagram Messages Through the Official Instagram App
Sorry, but as of this writing, the official Instagram app doesn’t offer a way to recover deleted messages in their system.
Check out the different methods or alternatives listed below.
Method 1 – Instagram Message Recovery for iPhone and Android Users
There’s a site that developed a tool for Instagram message recovery and offers their services to IG users (iPhone and Android). Should you decide on employing their services, here are the steps to follow:
- Go to the Instagram message recovery site.
- Follow the onscreen instructions. Basically, you will be required to enter your Instagram username or Profile URL.
- Select the Recover Messages option – and the system will search all the deleted messages in your account (this could take some time).
- Click on the blue button intended for human verification. You’ll have to wait for the system to approve your request (a percentage of completion is shown while you’re waiting).
- Once completed (100%), you can download the file for deleted messages (in ZIP format).
- For the final verification process, click on the Verify Now button and complete the site’s questionnaire.
- This is a totally free service for Instagram users.
- As of the moment, the tool has bugs that can delay the processing of your request (or even show errors on the human verification step).
- You need an Internet connection while recovering your deleted Instagram messages through this tool.
- Expect pop-up ads while you’re using the tool online.
- The whole process can take a lot of time (especially if you have a lot of deleted messages that you want to recover).
Method 2 – U.Fone for iPhone Users
If you’re an iPhone user, you can consider using a software called U.Fone iPhone Data Recovery. Here are the steps involved in using this method:
- Download the software on your computer.
- Run the app on your device.
- You will be presented with 3 choices – iPhone Data Recovery, iOS System Recovery, and iOS Data Backup and Restore. Pick the iPhone Data Recovery option.
- Click the Recover from iOS Device option.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer (via USB cable).
- Click on Start.
- Click App Document. The system will start scanning your Instagram account for deleted data.
- Your deleted messages will show up (they’re marked red).
- Select all the deleted messages that you want to recover.
- Click Recover.
- Download the HTML or CSV file (of deleted files) on your computer.
- This section is intended for recovering deleted messages from your iPhone (no backups).
- For Instagram users with iCloud backup, you can also use this method for recovering your messages from the iCloud app.
Method 3 – U.Fone for Android Users
As with Method #2, there’s also a software version for Android called U.Fone Android Data Recovery. Follow these steps when using this app:
- Download the software to your computer.
- Launch the software toolkit.
- Run the app on your computer.
- Click on the Android Data Recovery option.
- Connect your Android smartphone to your computer (using a USB cable).
- Enable the debugging function by following the onscreen instructions. Basically, you will need to go to the Settings menu and click on the USB debugging option.
- Select the Messages option
- Click Allow to approve the request.
- Click Start to allow the software to scan your phone.
- When the scan finishes, you will be able to see a list of your deleted messages.
- Select the messages you want to recover.
- Click Recover.
- Download and save as HTML file on your computer.
- The above methods (all involving Third-Party apps/ products) are not 100% reliable.
- There’s no guarantee that you will recover everything (or anything at all).
- Third-Party Instagram apps are not 100% safe to use.
Recovering Deleted Instagram Messages – Should You Do It?
It can be pretty frustrating when you are unable to recover your deleted messages (especially when you really don’t intend to lose them). Unfortunately, the official Instagram app currently doesn’t provide for a way or option to do so within the app itself.
We have shown you several methods on how to recover deleted Instagram messages through the use of third-party software and apps. However, keep in mind that we really don’t recommend the use of third-party apps as you will be exposing your system and data (Instagram info) to third-party organizations. Now, this can be very risky as your system can get hacked or infected with a virus.
If possible, we advise just letting deleted messages go (you can always start a new thread anyway). However, if it’s really REALLY necessary to recover your deleted messages, weigh all the pros and cons before proceeding with it.