Are you looking for a way to keep the people you’re following (your Following list) on Instagram private? We’re here to help you with that concern – but do know that it’s a bit complicated.
We do understand these points:
- Some Instagram accounts can be quite controversial for your followers (especially family members).
- In Instagram, the only way to have some degree of privacy is to maintain a private account.
- Even with a private account, your approved followers can still view your Following list.
Method 1 – Setting Privacy Option to Your Posts
Follow these steps if you want to employ some degree of privacy on your posts:
- Open your Instagram app.
- Go to your Profile section.
- Click Edit Profile.
- Depending on the Instagram version you have, do one of these:
- Check on the box that says: Posts are Private.
- Switch the Posts are Private switch to ON.
- Your current followers will be the only ones who can view your Profile.
- Only your followers will be able to look at each other’s identities.
- Your current followers will still be able to see who you’re following.
Method 2 – Maintaining a Private Account
To hide your Following list from other Instagram users with public accounts, you can set your account to private. Here are the steps to doing this:
- Open Instagram.
- Go to your Profile.
- Open Settings by clicking on the gear icon.
- Click on Account Privacy.
- Click Private Account.
- Only approved people can see your posts.
- Your Following list is hidden from people with public accounts (unless they become your followers – with your approval, of course).
- Your posts with hashtags will not appear on the public Instagram feed.
- Private accounts work in much the same way as public accounts – but only your followers will enjoy your presence (and posts).
Method 3 – Using Third-Party Apps
The methods we mentioned above can prove to be effective for hiding your Following list to other Instagram users (not your followers). But what if you want to hide your Following list from your own followers (e.g. nosy family members).
Well, right now, the official Instagram app doesn’t offer much of a solution to this dilemma. So, if you’re like most people, you might want to consider using a third-party app for this particular purpose. Depending on the app, the steps can be similar such as the ones listed below.
- Search for an app by using such keywords: Hide Instagram Following.
- Make sure that you read comments and user reviews about the app that you’re considering first.
- Download the app.
- Open the app and look for the option: Hide Following.
Our Suggestions on Hiding Who You’re Following on Instagram
Really, what should you do if you want to block certain people from being able to view your Following list? This really is a dilemma – but we have a few suggestions.
- Block users. Maybe you should consider blocking those Instagram users that you want to hide your Following list from. However, this suggestion will not work for you if you want those same people to see your other Instagram activities.
- Create another Instagram account. Actually, you can create several Instagram accounts – if you want to. This way, you can have separate accounts for your general usage (with family, friends, etc.) and the controversial accounts that you’re following.
Actually, suggestion #2 is only the real solution we can see as far as the dilemma of hiding your Following list is concerned. Keep in mind, however, that maintaining 2 or more Instagram accounts (plus your other social media accounts) can prove to be too troublesome. Still, the trouble may be all worth it, right?