Linking social media accounts such as Instagram and Facebook truly is a great time-saver when it comes to posting updates to your profile. Imagine, with one click, your post will automatically appear on both the Facebook and Instagram platforms. This is especially beneficial if you have the same batch of friends listed on both social networking sites.
However, should you want to separate your Facebook friends from your Instagram audience, this can be done as well – and it’s OK. So, if you linked your Instagram account to your Facebook account (or vice versa) – know that you can disconnect them easily. In fact, we are going to tell you how to do it via your Instagram and Facebook accounts.
Advantages of Linking Instagram to Facebook
Before proceeding with the process of disconnecting Instagram and Facebook from each other, let’s look at the advantages of having them linked together. We don’t mean to stop you from unlinking them, we just want you to know that keeping them linked with each other also has benefits. To wit, here are some of the reasons why you should consider keeping them linked:
- Every time you post a photo or video in your Instagram account, this will automatically show in your Facebook feed. Therefore, your Facebook friends will see them even if they’re not following you on Instagram.
- When you have both linked, you can switch to an Instagram business account, which can give you even more features. Also, when you’re using any bots for Instagram that auto-posts, you’ll generally need a business account to make it work.
- Having your IG posts show on your Facebook account will enable your Facebook friends to know your Instagram username – and follow you there.
How to Disconnect Instagram From Facebook Through Instagram
Ok, so you finally made up your mind and are really decided on unlinking your Instagram and Facebook accounts. You can do this through your IG account by following the steps listed below.
- Open your Instagram account.
- Click on your IG profile.
- Click on Settings (gear icon).
- Scroll down until you see the Linked Accounts option and click on that.
- Click on Facebook (you will see your username).
- Click on Unlink Account.
How to Disconnect Instagram from Facebook Through Facebook
In the above section, you tinkered on your Instagram settings to unlink the 2 social media platforms. Now, we are going to show you how to go about it if you were to unlink the 2 accounts via Facebook. Just follow these steps:
- Open your Facebook account.
- Click on the menu (inverted triangle icon) located at the upper right portion of the screen.
- Scroll down until you find the Settings option and click on that.
- Look for the Applications option and click on that.
- Look through the apps and find the Instagram app.
- Press the “x” near Instagram to disconnect it from your Facebook account. This will also remove said app from the list.
- Confirm by clicking Yes or Disconnect or Remove.
Advantages of Unlinking Your Instagram and Facebook Accounts
You know what, unlinking your 2 social media accounts also has benefits such as the following:
- To stay focused. You can use each social media account for different purposes and be more laser-focused on your posts. This is particularly true if you want to give your account a totally professional or personal feel – it’s up to you.
- For security reasons. In this day and age, everyone is prone to getting their social media accounts hacked. Let’s hope not, but if that ever happens to you, it would be good to have unlinked accounts. This way, only one account will be affected if a hacker does indeed get in.
We answered some of your frequently asked questions below.
Q: Once disconnected, can I reconnect my Instagram and Facebook accounts again?
A: Yes, you can.
Q: Do I lose anything when I disconnect Instagram and Facebook?
A: You’ll only lose the connectivity and probably some audience (if you have different sets of friends/ followers in the 2 accounts).
Q: Is it better to just keep the 2 accounts (Instagram and Facebook) linked together?
A: It’s totally up to you and it’s a matter of personal preference. Also, keep in mind that you can easily link the 2 accounts again if you wish to do so.
Should You Disconnect Instagram and Facebook?
If you’re used to sharing every image posted on your Instagram account to your Facebook account, this will no longer be the case once you unlink or disconnect the two. You already saw how easy it is to break the connection between the two accounts, right? Well, it’s just as easy to reconnect them again – so, no worries!