This early into the post, we’d like to let you know that deleting photos can’t be done through the web browser (as of this writing, that is). However, it can be done via the official Instagram app (on your mobile device). Still, you can use your PC, desktop or laptop in sorting images on your account. We’ll tell you more about it and also provide you with tips and tricks on how to accomplish the task of deleting Instagram photos below.
How to Delete a Photo or Video on Your Instagram Account
Here are the steps to deleting a post from your IG profile:
- Open your Instagram account through their official app.
- Tap on the profile action (human shape).
- Find the post that you want to delete.
- Tap the three horizontal dots icon if you’re using an iOS phone or Windows phone. If you’re using an Android phone, tap on the three vertical dots icon.
- Tap on the Option button (it’s located on the upper right-hand corner of the post).
- Tap on the Delete option.
- Confirm the action to Delete.
- The above steps only enable you to delete one photo at a time. So, if you want to delete all the photos on your Instagram account, you’ll have to repeat the steps again and again.
- Sorry, but as of the moment, the Instagram official app doesn’t allow multiple deletions of posts.
Remove Multiple Photos and Videos on Instagram
With the technique included in this section of the post, you will be able to easily delete a lot of posts (photos or videos) on your Instagram profile. Although you won’t be able to do so in one click, it’s a guaranteed time-saver. Here are the steps involved to accomplish this task (you’ll use both web browser and the Instagram app):
- Open your Instagram account on your web browser.
- Click on your profile (human-shaped icon).
- Click on View Profile option.
- Right click on all images that you want to delete and click on the Open Link in a New Tab option.
- Add a unique hashtag to all your chosen photos and videos. This act will sort your photos according to hashtags. So, an example of a hashtag for this would be: #deletepostsapril2019
- Open your Instagram profile on your mobile device using the official Instagram app.
- On the search field, go to the hashtag tab and type in the unique hashtag you used in step #5. This will display all the photos you ticked to delete.
- Click on the images one at a time.
- Tap Delete from the options.
- Repeat steps #8 and #9 until all photos with the unique hashtags are deleted.
- This technique will help in sorting out posts to be deleted from those to be retained.
- This technique is not applicable if your intention is to delete EVERYTHING. If that’s the case, just click on each post directly from the Instagram app and delete photos and videos one by one.
How to Delete Tagged Photos
Tagged photos on Instagram works in the same way as on Facebook. Therefore, tagged posts on IG will also appear on your own profile. If you want to delete photos on your profile just because you’re tagged in them, you can simply untag yourself to remove the posts from your profile (again, just like in Facebook). The steps to doing this are listed below.
- Sign into your Instagram account.
- Click on the profile icon (human shape icon located at the bottom of your screen).
- Click on Photos of Me option.
- Open the post that you want to untag yourself from.
- Tap on anywhere on the image to see all the people tagged on the post.
- Find your own username and click on it.
- Click on More Options.
- Click on the Remove Me From Photo option.
- Click on Remove to confirm your choice.
- Click on Done to save the changes you made and finally untag yourself from the post.
Viola! – The photo that you were tagged in will no longer be visible on your Instagram profile. So, just repeat the steps above to delete all your tagged photos from your profile.
Using Third Party Apps to Delete Multiple Photos at Once
We really don’t recommend the use of third-party apps, especially in the case of deleting photos from your Instagram profile. However, such apps do exist (e.g. Mass Delete, Insta Clean, Instant Cleaner, Cleaner, etc.). Should you decide to use one, the steps to deleting multiple posts are somewhat the same. Here are the usual steps to using such apps:
- Log into the app using your Instagram credentials.
- When asked for permission to access your account, click Yes (or something similar) to confirm.
- Select the posts you want to delete. Some apps have the option to Select All.
- Click Remove or Delete (or something similar).
- Free versions of apps usually offer limited deletion options. For example, you can only delete up to a maximum of 50 posts at a time.
- Paid or full versions of apps usually offer bulk deletion or Delete All option.
Option to Archive Instead of Delete
In this section, we are going to show you how to hide some of your posts (using Instagram’s Archive system). You can opt for this option if your only real intention is to remove certain posts from appearing on your profile.
Keep in mind that deleting photos and videos from your profile means permanently removing them from your Instagram account. Yes, you will never be able to recover them if you ever change your mind.
Now, with the Archive option, your posts will only be removed from your profile and feed but will still be kept in a safe place (with all the likes and comments intact). So, should you feel the need to restore these posts (whether photos or videos), you can do so. Here are the steps to doing this:
- Log in to your Instagram profile.
- Click on the post that you wish to put in Archive.
- If you’re using iOS, tap on the three horizontal dots icon. If you’re using Android, tap on the three vertical dots icon.
- Choose Archive from the options.
The last step completes the process of transferring your post from your profile feed to the Archive section. The steps below will now show you how to restore posts from the Archive folder back to your feed or profile.
- Log into your Instagram account.
- Click on the clock icon. If you’re using an iPhone, it’s located at the top left of the screen. And if you’re using an Android phone, you can find it at the top right portion of the screen.
- Click on the particular post that you want to restore.
- Click on the three horizontal dots icon if you’re using an iPhone. Or click on the three vertical dots icon if you’re using an Android phone.
- Click on the Show on Profile option.
- The above steps will restore the post back to its original place in your Instagram profile. All the likes and comments remain on the post.
- Keep in mind that when you transfer posts to the Archive, your followers and other IG users will not be able to see them.
- Only you can have access to the posts on the Archive. You can see all the photos and videos kept there by clicking on the clock icon on your profile page.
Deleting Posts on Instagram
For some reason, Instagram currently doesn’t offer a “select post” or delete option for mass deletion of photos and videos. We often wonder why the bulk delete option is absent from this amazing social media platform – but your guess is as good as ours, in this case.
May we just remind you that although we included the option to use a third-party app for deleting posts, we are not really recommending it. Using third-party apps is just too risky, in our opinion, as these can become the source of spam and virus attacks. So, we are recommending having the patience to delete posts one by one as this is the safest and most reliable way to do it.
Of course, we also showed you the hashtag technique. You can use it if you want to delete a lot of posts – but not all posts. It’s a great way to sort your posts – you know, which photos and videos to delete and which to retain.
We also recommend simply putting your unwanted posts in Instagram’s Archive function as this will effectively remove posts from your profile without really deleting them from your account. With this choice, you can even restore posts complete with likes and comments. You really have nothing to lose with this option – that’s why we highly recommend it.