When you commit a typographical error while making a comment on Instagram, you can choose to either edit the post or delete the whole comment entirely. Of course, you can have other reasons for wanting to delete a comment – and that’s what this post is all about. Don’t worry, deleting a comment is possible and easy as well.
Steps to Deleting Instagram Comment
Follow these steps if you really want to remove a comment from an Instagram post:
- Look for the particular post.
- Tap on the comment icon below the photo or video.
- On the comment itself, swipe left if you’re using an iPhone. If you’re using an Android, tap and long press on the comment.
- By performing the step above (#3), a trash can icon will appear – a red-colored trash can for iPhone and a blue-colored trash can for Android. Click on the trash can icon on your screen to delete the comment.
- If you’re dealing with your own post, you can delete your own comments as well as other people’s comments.
- For comments on other people’s posts, you can only delete comments made by you.
Option to Edit a Comment
For simple mistakes made on your comments, you can opt for the edit option instead of deleting your entire comment. This will allow you to revise (add or remove things on your comment) as much as you want. Here are the steps to doing this:
- Find the particular post that you want to edit.
- Click on the three dots located at the upper right corner of the post.
- Click on Edit.
- Fix any error on your comment or add location and tag people.
- Click Done.
Option to Filter Comments
If you always find yourself a victim of inappropriate comments, you’ll be glad to know that you have the option of filtering comments in your Instagram account. Just follow the steps listed below.
- Go to your Instagram profile.
- Tap on the gear icon to go to Settings.
- Click on Privacy and Security.
- Tap on Comment Controls.
- Turn on Hide Offensive Comments by tapping next to it.
- By default, Instagram already has the offensive comments filter turned on.
- You can still manually turn the Hide Offensive Comments on to further customize said function.
Keyword Filter Option on Comments
In relation to the above option of filtering unwanted and offensive comments, you can also use Instagram’s Keyword Filtering option. Here are the steps involved in this:
- Turn on Hide Offensive Comments (as discussed in the above section).
- Turn on Manual Filter by tapping next to it.
- Input words, phrases, and emojis you want to filter in the text box. Basically, anything that you want to block from appearing on your comments.
- Should you find that the option to filter keywords is not available on your device, know that said option is not yet offered in different countries and languages.
- Currently, languages that don’t use spaces can’t make use of this option just yet (e.g. Japanese, Chinese, Thai, etc.).
Other Things to Keep in Mind
When it comes to filtering of comments, these things apply:
- New and existing comments will be affected by the filter. Therefore, comments with unwanted keywords will disappear from Instagram’s feeds.
- Any time you turn off the comment filter option, full comments on your posts will be restored.
Option to Turn Comments Off on an Existing Post
If you get tired of deleting comments and want to remove the option of commenting on your posts, you can also do so. You can do this to all of your posts one by one. The steps are listed below:
- Find the particular post.
- Tap on the three dots icon located at the top right of your post.
- Click on Turn Off Commenting.
- To turn on commenting, simply tap on the Turn On Commenting option.
- When you select the Turn Off Commenting option, all existing comments on a post will be hidden (hidden only, not deleted).
- When you decide to select Turn On Commenting, all comments on the said post will be restored. Likewise, people can start commenting on the post again.
Option to Turn Off Commenting on Future Posts
Below, we’ll tell you how to turn off commenting on a post even before you share it.
- Tap advanced settings on the caption section of your post (before posting).
- Click on Turn Off Commenting.
- Upon posting, you will see that the comment icon is not available for your followers.
What to Do When You Can’t Seem to Delete a Comment
Finally, we’d like to offer you a tip on how to deal with comments that can’t seem to be deleted. This is for those of you who are getting an error message like: “comment can’t be deleted,’ even if you’re absolutely sure that you have already removed it (but are still seeing it).
In most cases, such an error message will appear if the said comment has already been deleted by Instagram in their system. The reason why you’re still seeing the comment is simply that you’re probably looking at an old version of the page – you can refresh the page to fix this issue. Or better yet, just wait for a while before the changes can take effect on your feed.
Deleting Comments on Instagram
So, there – you now know how to delete comments using different techniques. We have also provided you with other options on how to deal with unwanted and nasty comments. You now have the power to control how your followers can comment on your posts.