Instagram’s Search function is very useful indeed. To use it, follow these steps:
- Click the magnifying glass icon (it’s located near the Home icon).
- Click inside the Search box (it looks like the usual Search field in other social networking sites). Recent searches will be displayed as long as you don’t type anything in the box.
- Type something (a letter, for example) and related searches comprised of usernames and hashtags will appear as autosuggestions.
Instagram’s Search function works best when you are always searching for the usual stuff. With the autosuggestions, you can simply click on the needed item without having to type the whole thing.
If for some reason, you don’t want Instagram to display your recent searches – you can clear the search history on your account. Clearing the search history will also disable the autosuggest function temporarily (not permanently, as it will just reset when you make new searches).
In the next sections, we’ll tell you how to clear the search history in your Instagram account. So, let’s do it.
How to Clear Search History in Instagram
As with other social media platforms, Instagram also saves its users’ searches by default (for convenience). However, if you want to get rid of your searches list, you can do so by following the steps listed below.
- Click on your profile icon (human shape icon located near the bottom of the screen).
- Click on the gear icon to open the Settings options.
- Scroll down and look for the Search History menu then click on that.
- Click Clear Search History.
- A confirmation message will appear: Are you sure?
- Click Yes, I’m Sure. You can also click Cancel if you change your mind at this point.
- A fresh set of new searches will show up after you start searching for stuff again (usernames, hashtags, etc.) again.
- Right now, Instagram doesn’t have an option to turn off the Search history.
How to Hide Searches on Instagram
If only some of your recorded searches are useless to you, you can consider just removing these items. By not entirely deleting all your searches, you can still access your most used and recent searches and save some time typing the words again. Here are the steps to doing this:
- Click the Search function (magnifying glass icon).
- The Search box will appear at the upper portion of your screen. Click inside the box (as if to type something, but don’t).
- Your recent searches and suggestions will appear. Look at the list and find the one/s that you want to hide or remove.
- Click and hold the item until the option to hide the item pops up.
- Click Hide. You can also click Cancel if you change your mind.
- The above technique works for hiding top and recent searches involving people, tags, and places.
- With this option, you can still keep your most used searches.
Clearing Your Search History on Instagram
We just showed you your options on how to delete or hide certain items from your Search History on Instagram. Needless to say, keeping your frequently searched items on hand can prove to be time-saving – so, we suggest retaining them. Also, if you want to have an uncluttered Search History (with only a few items), we suggest making removing or hiding seldom used searches a habit.